Well it has been quite sometime since I have visited the world of blogging, so let me catch you up on all of life’s happenings since June 11th…..
Well that beautiful garden that I described below became this full, over-grown flourishing area in the back yard. Michael was even able to eat a few of the tomatoes and peppers that WE grew – so cool!!! However just as our little garden was on the verge of producing a plethora of cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs galore, cayenne peppers and bell peppers, the natural disaster that is know as Augusta “Gus” McMasterson happened. It still angers me to this day as I sit here and relive this story as I write it. I went over to Michael’s house one unassuming Tuesday after work and found that Gus had pulled some of the screen away from the breeze way. At that moment I thought okay no biggie that can be easily fixed.
Then I hear Gus. He is barking and whining. That lovely little darling had scooted under the screen he had pulled away and into the garden. In hopes of keeping our little terrors out of garden Michael had built a very functional fence that had been working wonderfully. So wonderfully in fact that now that Gus had found a way in he could not get out. So there he sat. Guilty as sin in the mess he had made of my poor garden. Tomato plants, cucumber vines, beds of mint, basil, and oregano, pepper plants all pulled out of the ground and RIPPED TO SHREDS. Deep and wide holes in the ground that was once so pretty and cared for with its organic soil. It was a disaster area.
I was furious and Gus knew it… the moment he saw me all barking and whining stopped.
We just starred at each other in silence – he knew I was mad and that he was absolutely caught. Ughh….dogs…. as I have said before, if I didn’t love them I would hate them. Now my aunt and mother think that this was Gus’ retaliation for having been neutered the day before all of this happened. Not a valid excuse in my book. If he hadn’t been neutered the day before, I might have done it to him that day after seeing his destruction. Hahahaha….
The plan is the re-buy and re-create the garden as best we can this weekend…. Well see….
Let’s see now … what else has happened….
English, one of my best friends in the world, got married on July 11th. It was a beautiful service and wonderful reception. I was the maid of honor in her wedding, which I cannot tell what an honor that was – however I was a nervous wreck! I knew at some during all of the festivities I would have to speak to a large group of people. If you know me, you know that I am not very good at this and certainly not good at this when I am not prepared…. So below is the speech I gave at English and Michael’s rehearsal dinner:
English and I became friends when I moved to Columbia in 2006. We were both very proud residents of 1902 College street – a house that will live on in infamy. We've seen each other through my failed teaching career, her ongoing moonlighting at Zorbas, late night parties followed by early morning classes (her attending and me teaching!), bad boyfriend drama and good boyfriend drama, an eventful raodtrip to Nashville, and endless amounts of peanut butter, frozen cool whip, and sushi – not at the same time of course, and who can forget the musicals that were often put on in our house after a lovely night out in 5 points, and now that we are in a different phase of life -dinner club and double dates. And eventually we would go on to be bonded even further as fellow Carolina Alumni – I say this only because I know her blood runs orange and I have to rub it in!. It would not have been the same without you. In fact, it was better because we did it all together.As I watch you graduate from your single life I can’t help but think of Queen's “Another one bites the dust”…. Just kidding… I see a bright future ahead. Tomorrow when you become Michael's wife, you are embarking on fun new adventures like changing your name on your social security card and joint tax returns, late night cravings to early morning feeding, silly arguments and romantic apologies, beach vacations in summer and of course a reason to attend Gamecock football games for the rest of your life! It wouldn't be the same without you so I'm glad we'll keep doing it together.So I propose a toast to the University of South Carolina for developing such fine alumnae and 1902 for making us such good friends. And of course to English and Michael as they begin their lives together.
Being one of few Gamecock fans in the room – it got a mixed reaction! Hahahahaha All in good fun! Anyways, her weekend was beautiful, she was beautiful, and they looked so happy!! Yeah!! Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Gallery!!!
Okay more to come later…. :0)
Well that beautiful garden that I described below became this full, over-grown flourishing area in the back yard. Michael was even able to eat a few of the tomatoes and peppers that WE grew – so cool!!! However just as our little garden was on the verge of producing a plethora of cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs galore, cayenne peppers and bell peppers, the natural disaster that is know as Augusta “Gus” McMasterson happened. It still angers me to this day as I sit here and relive this story as I write it. I went over to Michael’s house one unassuming Tuesday after work and found that Gus had pulled some of the screen away from the breeze way. At that moment I thought okay no biggie that can be easily fixed.
Then I hear Gus. He is barking and whining. That lovely little darling had scooted under the screen he had pulled away and into the garden. In hopes of keeping our little terrors out of garden Michael had built a very functional fence that had been working wonderfully. So wonderfully in fact that now that Gus had found a way in he could not get out. So there he sat. Guilty as sin in the mess he had made of my poor garden. Tomato plants, cucumber vines, beds of mint, basil, and oregano, pepper plants all pulled out of the ground and RIPPED TO SHREDS. Deep and wide holes in the ground that was once so pretty and cared for with its organic soil. It was a disaster area.
I was furious and Gus knew it… the moment he saw me all barking and whining stopped.
We just starred at each other in silence – he knew I was mad and that he was absolutely caught. Ughh….dogs…. as I have said before, if I didn’t love them I would hate them. Now my aunt and mother think that this was Gus’ retaliation for having been neutered the day before all of this happened. Not a valid excuse in my book. If he hadn’t been neutered the day before, I might have done it to him that day after seeing his destruction. Hahahaha….The plan is the re-buy and re-create the garden as best we can this weekend…. Well see….
Let’s see now … what else has happened….
English, one of my best friends in the world, got married on July 11th. It was a beautiful service and wonderful reception. I was the maid of honor in her wedding, which I cannot tell what an honor that was – however I was a nervous wreck! I knew at some during all of the festivities I would have to speak to a large group of people. If you know me, you know that I am not very good at this and certainly not good at this when I am not prepared…. So below is the speech I gave at English and Michael’s rehearsal dinner:
English and I became friends when I moved to Columbia in 2006. We were both very proud residents of 1902 College street – a house that will live on in infamy. We've seen each other through my failed teaching career, her ongoing moonlighting at Zorbas, late night parties followed by early morning classes (her attending and me teaching!), bad boyfriend drama and good boyfriend drama, an eventful raodtrip to Nashville, and endless amounts of peanut butter, frozen cool whip, and sushi – not at the same time of course, and who can forget the musicals that were often put on in our house after a lovely night out in 5 points, and now that we are in a different phase of life -dinner club and double dates. And eventually we would go on to be bonded even further as fellow Carolina Alumni – I say this only because I know her blood runs orange and I have to rub it in!. It would not have been the same without you. In fact, it was better because we did it all together.As I watch you graduate from your single life I can’t help but think of Queen's “Another one bites the dust”…. Just kidding… I see a bright future ahead. Tomorrow when you become Michael's wife, you are embarking on fun new adventures like changing your name on your social security card and joint tax returns, late night cravings to early morning feeding, silly arguments and romantic apologies, beach vacations in summer and of course a reason to attend Gamecock football games for the rest of your life! It wouldn't be the same without you so I'm glad we'll keep doing it together.So I propose a toast to the University of South Carolina for developing such fine alumnae and 1902 for making us such good friends. And of course to English and Michael as they begin their lives together.
Being one of few Gamecock fans in the room – it got a mixed reaction! Hahahahaha All in good fun! Anyways, her weekend was beautiful, she was beautiful, and they looked so happy!! Yeah!! Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Gallery!!!
Okay more to come later…. :0)
like i already told you (and I just re read it and did the same thing!) I loved your toast and tear up every time I read it...when/if i get married im glad you'll be my moh :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteBest toast :) Loved it ... thank you for everything!
ReplyDeleteSuz- I am glad that you habe started blogging again. It sounds like things are going great for you. I hope we can get together soon.
ReplyDeleteSteph